Minibot proof of concept out of old Lego parts. The purple arms push against the pole, which angles the wheels into the pole to create a horizontal vector just strong enough to keep the bot on the pole. Took about two hours to make.
The bot is climbing up a 40 inch metal pole that is embedded in the concrete floor of our garage (for reasons beyond my imagination). Climb speed is about 6 in/s. Power is provided by a 13-year-old 9V Lego motor that is the wimpiest of the wimpiest Lego motors out there. It is being run on 12V.
The TETRIX motor we will be using in our actual minibot has 21.7 kg-cm of torque. This motor exerts no more than 200 g-cm of torque.
This is the first time in six or seven years I’ve put anything together with Legos. I think I’ve lost one of my tubs—I made this robot out of what few parts I could find. I need more gears!
Credits to my mother for taking the videos!